With a special application technique developed by Prof. Dr. Ümit Beden and his team, Istanbul Prosthetic Eye Center carries out personal prosthetic eye production with the approval of several ophthalmologists and eye clinics in domestic and at abroad.
What is a prosthetic eye?
These are the prostheses applied for cosmetic purposes to the patients who do not have an eye congenitally, whose eye was removed surgically, who has deformity in their eye or who lost their eye for any reason.
These are the materials applied in case the eye is lost due to an accident, congenital causes, diseases or cancer or in case for a deformity in the eye compared to the original eye.
Maintenance of prosthetic eye protects the health of orbit, as well as prolongs the life of the eye prosthesis used and helps preserving the quality of the eye prosthesis.
Although some people prefer removing their eye prosthesis at nights, it is ideal that the prosthesis is used all the time during day and night. Proteins and various materials are stored by time on the surface of the eye prosthesis used. Therefore, the prosthesis should be removed periodically and cleaned with ultrasonic methods.
It is consisted for five stages.
- Surgical Preparation
- Molding Stage
- Temporary Prosthesis Use and Rules
- Coloring Period
- Delivery of Permanent Prosthetic Eye
Socket of the person, whom the movable prosthesis will be applied for, is examined. Then, the size is measured and the mold is taken with silicon. A wax mold is created from the size measured. It is tested on the patient, a decision is taken on the final version, and then it is taken to acrylic mold. In this way, the prosthesis perfectly fits the socket of the patient, and moves closely with the other eye.
Prosthetic Eye Production and Surgeries
First, it is required to prepare the socket to the prosthesis. In order to do this, a ball shaped implant is inserted replacing the eye while the eye is removed. A few weeks later, the mold of socket is taken for the eye prosthesis and the prosthesis is prepared. After that, the prosthetic eye is placed to the socket and final touches are made according to the position of the prosthesis. The prosthetic eye is prepared within a few days after the mold of socket is taken. After this stage, it might be required to set some prosthesis application appointments until the prosthesis is finalized.
Frequently Asked Questions
Although the surgical techniques may vary, there are essentially three different surgical methods.
- Evisceration: In this operation, all the intraocular contents are removed while preserving the remaining scleral shell. The scleral shell is closed by placing a sphere in order to give volume to this cavity. UTSE operation is an evisceration method where the cornea is preserved.
- Enucleation: In this operation, the eyeball is completely removed together with the scleral shell. The eye muscles and the orbital fat tissue around the eye are preserved. During this operation, eye muscles are stitched on the ball shaped implant, which replaces the eye, thus the eyeball can move.
- Exenteration: In this operation, the eyeball, eyelids and all the other tissues around the eye (all the tissues between the eyebrow and the cheek) are removed. This operation is mostly applied for dangerous tumors around the eye.
- FCVB (Intraocular Balloon Application): This procedure is used for preserving the shape of the eye, if it has not become smaller yet, and for preventing the removal of the eye.
What is the function of the ball shaped implant placed inside the eye or replacing the eye after the removal of eye?
Ball shaped implant placed is very important for the prosthesis to be used. These ball shaped implants can be produced from silicon, plastic, acrylic or any other material that can become integrated to the body. Harmony of the ball shaped implant with the surrounding tissues and its ability to move would directly affect the appearance and movements of the prosthesis to be applied on it. In this stage, using good quality ball shaped implants and suitable surgical techniques is vital for the cosmetic result to be obtained with the prosthesis.
Should the eye prosthesis produced according to the eye of the person? Would using ready-to-use prostheses cause any damage?
It is better to produce the prosthesis according to the eye of the person. This is because both the prosthesis color is processed according to the color of the other eye and the shape of prosthesis is prepared according to the structure of the eyelids by taking the mold of person’s socket. In this case, the appearance and movements of the prosthesis will be more compatible with the other eye and will not cause pain and discomfort. Additionally, the structure and material of the personal prostheses are safer in terms of eye gunk and allergy formation, are more resistant to breakage and have a life than ready-to-use prostheses.
- You may experience stinging and discomfort feeling the first time you place your prosthesis. These problems will go away within a few hours to a few days
- In cases where the prosthesis is removed, it is necessary to comply with the hygiene rules when placing the prosthesis.
- Alcohol or chemical solvents should not be used for the maintenance of the prosthesis. Baby shampoo or boiled salty water is safer for this process.
- Artificial tears are very useful when using the prosthesis.
- Some eye gunk may occur when using a prosthesis. They can be cleaned with wet cotton or eye wipes.
- You should visit a doctor for an eye control in cases of excessive eye gunk.
- It is useful for patients using eye prosthesis to wear an unbreakable glass (polycarbonate) eyeglass. This is also important for the protection of the other eye.
GET INFORMATION NOW
Please fill in the following form to get detailed information or an appointment for prosthetic eye production, application and operations…
No:9 K:6 D:8 Ataşehir İstanbul